December 21, 2012

Catch RTL-SDR fire .

DVB-T dongles based on the Realtek RTL2832U can be used as a cheap SDR, since the chip allows transferring the raw I/Q samples to the host, which is officially used for DAB/DAB+/FM demodulation. The possibility of this has been discovered by the V4L/DVB kernel developer  Antti Palosaari.


 From: Antti Palosaari iki.fi>
Subject: SDR FM demodulation
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure
Date: 2012-02-09 15:01:12 GMT (45 weeks, 9 hours and 10 minutes ago)
I have taken radio sniffs from FM capable Realtek DVB-T device. Looks 
like demodulator ADC samples IF frequency and pass all the sampled data 
to the application. Application is then responsible for decoding that. 
Device supports DVB-T, FM and DAB. I can guess  both FM and DAB are 
demodulated by software.

Could someone help to decode it? I tried GNU Radio, but I failed likely 
because I didn't have enough knowledge... GNU Radio and Octave or Matlab 
are way to go.
I smell very cheap poor man's software radio here :)
regards
 Antti
 

 SDR# is probably the best application to start out with.
RTL-SDR and GNU Radio with Realtek

1 comment:

https://youtu.be/Uu_vFTckLBo?si=SqnmdycHGITNeqLA said...

Peace be upon you Dr.Nader,
I want to congrulate you for all success you made in this field.
I am new in this domain therefore i need your help ; i ve bought RTL -SDR usb key so that I keep in contact with this hobby , i like for instance to use it to recive NOAA signals and to listen to Hams as well as to use it in astronomical applications as i am interested mainly in astronomy.
hear from you as soon as possible.
regards,
Hamdi from Algeria